Friday, November 18, 2016

What this is all about... An introduction.


A brief introduction, or why I'm writing this blog...


I have been a reenactor for over 16 years. In that time, I've had the rare opportunity to dabble in just about every time period imaginable. From ancient Rome, to Dark Ages, Middle Ages, Renaissance (not just the fantasized "faire" stuff, but proper period Renaissance as well), 17th Century, three periods in the 18th Century, Early 19th Century, American Civil War, Old West, Boer Wars, Span-Am War, and a variety of early 20th Century stuff, I feel like I've experienced snippets of nearly 2000 years of humankind's impression upon the world. Granted, it's from the viewpoint of a reenactor, which is a little romanticized, to say the least... However, being an historian and approaching everything I portray as an academic challenge, I feel that I've at least touched on the experiences of those who came before us. It has been a fun journey so far, and something that I'm looking forward to continuing throughout my life.


As a reenactor of many periods, I've often been asked, "What time period do you wish you'd lived in?" I've often pondered this question myself, and though most of my reenacting career has been in the War of 1812 period and earlier, I keep coming back to the early 20th century in my answers. I feel that the "long first quarter" of the 20th Century provides the best of both the historical world, and the modern.


Don't shoot!

Now for you academics reading this, yes, I understand that the commonly accepted breaking point between the historical world and modern world is the Industrial Revolution, which preceded this era by about 100 years. Don't crucify me yet... I'm referring to the difference between the pre-automobile age, versus the current era of self-driving cars. Or the difference between the telegraph and smartphones. Specifically, I'm referring to the difference between having enough class to dress for dinner and showing up at a friends house in pajamas with a pizza. (I'm not knocking pajamas and a pizza, especially if that's the agreed upon code of dress between both parties, but if that's your idea of dining with friends, you might want to reevaluate your level of social interactions!)

Funny cartoon to break up the monotony of text. I've been told this is something bloggers do...


So, back to my point: If I were to choose an historical period in which to live, it would be the early 20th Century. The romantic side of me yearns for an era when one might wear a tuxedo several times a year, not just for the occasional wedding, or a time when life seems simpler without the distractions of the internet. (Insert irony here.) The practical (modern) side of me revels in an historical era that includes conveniences like running water and electricity. The gearhead in me loves that I get to play with old cars, aeroplanes, tractors, and various other dangerous machinery. The craftsman in me wants to make it all by hand, which becomes much harder with later historical eras. Lastly, the antiques junkie in me revels in the fact that neat original gear can be easily had for often less than the cost of reproducing said item. 

A recent junk-store score: Pre-1921 flashlight and a circa 1910 fishing reel for less than $50!

MISSION STATEMENT:

The purpose of this blog will be to post, with varying frequency, my observations on this largely unknown era of historical reenacting in hopes that it will encourage more people to join the fun. I will be discussing my own kit, research, and various projects, plus providing some how-to's and thoughts on where to find bits of kit and how to restore/salvage them. I will be primarily focusing on the period from 1910-1932, though I may occasionally deviate from that as required. I intend to discuss all subjects pertaining to those periods, and the various forms of reenacting that are available. This means that I will discuss farming, hunting, camping, fishing, motor camping, automobiles, aviation, Prohibition, women's suffrage, the Great War (begrudgingly and in more socio-economical terms, as I'm not really a military historian), and the Stock Market Crash, among a myriad of other things. Primarily this will all center on the experience of the average American of the 1920's, but deviations from the script will happen. TEASER: I'll also be chronicling my adventures on the road, the 1920's kitchen I'll be creating for my wife, and several planned "major expeditions" to National Parks in the US. I've also nearly got my wife convinced to join in the fun and grace us with some of her sewing and fashion knowledge as well as her collection of recipes and cooking tips.

Thanks for reading! (But...)

Feel free to follow along and join the conversation in the comments section. However, bear in mind that this is a hobby, and it's for fun. Constructive criticism, arguments backed up with documentation, and questions about anything I'm writing about are very welcome and encouraged. Haterz gonna get removed! Have fun, and happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment